This project is aimed at impacting systemic barriers affecting adolescent mental health for Black and Brown Adolescents of Color. We are looking to train adolescents to become Mind Health Ambassadors throughout high schools in Kalamazoo County. They will receive Mental Health training with cultural applications.
First responders to the mental health crisis
This will position them to become first responders to the mental health crisis of their peers and family in and out of school time. The training will have double impact, as it will involve training in the art and techniques of Yoga and Mindfulness practices, through Youth Yoga Empowerment Series (YYES). The MiHAP cohorts will be launched within the schools, churches and other youth driven organizations impacting adolescents of color.
Cohort 1 Winning Video
Cohort 2 Winning Video
Application for Cohort 3 is currently closed.
Please check back in 2024 on how to apply for our Cohort 3 Accelerated program (Summer 2024) OR for Cohort 4 (September 2024).
- Kalamazoo County Students (Grades 9-12).
- Up to $500 Completion Award.
- Mental Health Awareness training.
- All students are eligible to apply.
- Group work
- Yoga practices
- Mindfulness techniques
- Creative expression through journaling
- Role playing
- Case studies
- Recognize visual or vocal signs of mental health in a friend or family member.
- Practice and refine ways to talk to a friend or family member about mental health, as well as learn how to get help.
- Identify when to get an adult involved in a mental health situation.
- Understand how mindfulness and yoga techniques may be helpful when struggling with mental health situations.
- Share helpful mental health or professional resources and mindfulness acts with friends or family members.
- Prepare a Mind Health Ambassador (MHA) Engagement Plan to support friends or family members in crisis.
Students Grades 9-12
Kalamazoo County School Districts
All races encouraged to apply
- Program Dates: Wednesday, September 6, 2023 through February 29, 2024
- Recurring Meetings: First and Second Wednesdays from 5:30pm to 7:30pm
- Recurring Meeting: Third Saturday of each month from 10:00am to 4:00pm
- Retreat and Graduation: February 2024
- Breaking the Stigma: May 2024
- Cost: Free