This project is aimed at impacting systemic barriers affecting adolescent mental health for Black and Brown Adolescents of Color . We are looking to train adolescents to become Mind Health Ambassadors throughout high schools in Kalamazoo County. They will receive Mental Health training with cultural applications.
First responders to the mental health crisis
This will position them to become first responders to the mental health crisis of their peers and family in and out of school time. The training will have double impact, as it will involve training in the art and techniques of Yoga and Mindfulness practices, through Youth Yoga Empowerment Series (YYES). The MiHAP cohorts will be launched within the schools, churches and other youth driven organizations impacting adolescents of color.
MiHAP kicks-off in September
Recruitment for Cohort 3 opening soon. Please check back for more information.
- Kalamazoo County Students (Grades 9-12)
- $500 Completion Award
- Mental Health Awareness training
- All students are eligible to apply
- Group work
- Yoga practices
- Mindfulness techniques
- Creative expression through journaling
- Role playing
- Case studies
- Recognize visual or vocal signs of mental health in a friend or family member.
- Practice and refine ways to talk to a friend or family member about mental health, as well as learn how to get help.
- Identify when to get an adult involved in a mental health situation.
- Understand how mindfulness and yoga techniques may be helpful when struggling with mental health situations.
- Share helpful mental health or professional resources and mindfulness acts with friends or family members.
- Prepare a Mind Health Ambassador (MHA) Engagement Plan to support friends or family members in crisis.
Students Grades 9-12
Kalamazoo County School Districts
All races encouraged to apply
- When: Starting Wednesday, September 29, 2021 through March 30, 2022.
- Recurring Meetings: Second, third, and fourth Wednesdays from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Recurring Meeting: First Saturday of each month 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Retreat/Graduation April
- Breaking the Stigma June
- Cost: Free